Saturday, March 08, 2008

One (More) Big Fight

It's a little anti-climactic, but here I go on the last leg of legal testing - God-willing, the last EVER. The Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE) is tomorrow, and, unlike the Bar, is only two hours and 60 (multiple choice) questions long. And thankfully only covers one subject - legal (including judicial) professional conduct and ethics.

If I may say so myself, did a pretty good job in both my Legal Ethics class under the late great Justice Irene Cortes, and in the Legal Ethics section of the Philippine Bar. Plus, most of the continuing legal education units I had to cram in before I left consisted of hours upon hours of Legal Ethics lectures (ugh).

However, my proficiency in Philippine legal ethics did little to prepare me for legal ethics, American style. In this country where advertising legal services on billboards and television and accepting contingent fees are permissible (both are prohibited under the Philippine Code of Professional Responsibility), I've had to learn and re-learn more than a few concepts. Judges campaign and are elected to office here, a situation I never had to deal with back home; and it's much more litigious on these shores than it is in the Philippines, where a guest would never dream of suing a homeowner if the guest slipped and fell in the homeowner's home (darn it, I'm beginning to sound like a frickin' Bar fact pattern).

Anyway, one last hurrah, and this particular US trip is complete. I have a week after tomorrow to really hang loose and just enjoy whatever's left of the winter (apparently there's still a lot more cold to bear, according to the forecasts) so I'm just gonna chill (literally and otherwise) before thawing out in my beloved Manila.

Go team fight!

1 comment:

Carlo said...

Have a safe trip back to Manila. Am sure your friends from the northeast will going to miss you. You really really really made it. Congratulations!