Friday, March 21, 2008

No Place Like Home

I'm back on the sultry shores of the Philippines - and slowly disengaging myself from the throes of lethargy. The intercontinental jump from a brisk 12C to a humid 33 degrees, plus readjusting my body clock 13 hours forward, is wreaking havoc on my system, and I've been sleeping like a bear. This morning I went to bed at half past 3 am, and, to my horror, got up 15 hours later! Then I fell asleep again after dinner - my sister kept checking my pulse to see if I was still alive. Oh well, now it's 2:30 a.m. and I'm wide awake (duh).

I never thought I'd be missing the cold weather of the North, but it's good to be home. Home is a PhP70 ($1.50; $2 with tip) pedicure at the UP Shopping Center, Joel Torre's chicken inasal with lots of red mantika and garlic rice, a Jollibee meal number NE2 (sweet spaghetti and regular Yum), my Mom's lomo-lomo, SM Megamall, a four-day long Holy Week-end, the Landmark Manila community, my beloved family and friends (some of who I've already sleepily spoken with - pardon the torpor of our conversations). None of the above is available elsewhere on the planet, and I'm blessed to have them near. I'm already creating my next international adventure, but for now, I'm home sweet home.

No comments: