Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Conversation

There are many things that I am passionate about: travel, law, cinema, writing, my country. But lately I've been reflecting on what it is I'm passionate about the most.

I came up with one thing: CONVERSATION. I'm most passionate when I'm IN a conversation, especially a really good one. I just got off the phone after two hours of coaching and conversation with a relatively new friend, and when he thanked me for my time, I thanked him even more.

For after every conversation, I end up so enriched and expanded that I am not the same person I was before the interaction. No wonder that the people I consider my best friends are all masters at this art: I can spend hours, until the sun rises, in conversation with them, never running out of anything to say, even if I've known some of them for decades. The men I've been most attracted to have always engaged me in great, endless conversations - and those who I thought were initially attractive eventually turned out to be huge disappointments when nothing insightful, creative, or remotely relevant came out of their mouths (what a waste of saliva). I've distinguished that I can actually generate rich conversations with the most unlikely people - strangers on the bus, train, or plane; little children; lost youth living on the street - and I've always ended up being fascinated beyond my wildest expectations.

What I most love are conversations for transformation - those which open up new possibilities and avenues for action. Which is probably why I've always preferred arbitration and compromise over hard-core litigation. Both parties always end up winners after conversations for possibility, and those are the kinds of conversations I'm committed to forward.

So talk to me. I've always got something to say, and I'm always more than ready to listen.

No comments: