Thursday, August 02, 2007

Afterglow and Fore-ward

The last few days have been an ebb and flow of riot and relaxation. I had a sense that my vacation was at its end last Sunday when I got off the plane, assaulted by the wave of heat and humdity and the throngs of joyous arrivals and greeters at the airport. I was home, back on familiar territory, back to the myriad commitments and concerns.

Not that it's an unpleasant experience - on the contrary, home was powerfully calling me back even as I stepped into the departure lobby a month ago. The cycle of completion and creation is exhilirating, as there is always something newly in place in the future that gets one going. The thrilling uncertainty of "what's next?" propels you out of bed in the morning (even while on a "break" from a familiar lifestyle), and dancing with the unknown creates enlivenment of mind and spirit.

My body clock is still shot - early to rise, early to bed, and an untimely experience of exhaustion at hours I'm usually at my peak - but I'm grateful for the slack in schedule I've enjoyed this first week back home. I've managed to put the new commitments I've taken on in place, while still taking time-off to get acclimatized to the old time zone. I'm beginning to build a schedule from scratch - getting back into the games I'd taken time off from and starting new ones - and have been pleasantly surprised to find that I have time in the next few days to spend with important people in my life, whose company I'd missed in the past several months of completing all the commitments I'd made. And I'm excited to have even more conversations that will create possibilities anew. Bring 'em on!

No comments: