Monday, February 25, 2008

The Night Before

It's the “night before” - take two.

Almost 14 years ago, I swore I'd never, ever take the Bar Exam again, even if it meant that I didn't get to be a lawyer at all. Thankfully, I made it the first time around, and I joyfully basked in the thought that I would never have to undergo that experience ever again.

Fast forward to the 21st century, and guess what – not only am I going through the Bar experience again, I'm actually doing it out of my own volition. Knowingly, willingly, voluntarily (recklessly?). In a whole new jurisdiction where legal animals such as the Rule Against Perpetuities and Judgments Notwithstanding the Verdict prey on unwitting innocents. Eek.

But finally, after almost five months of wrapping my brain around the nuances of U.S. common law and the New York distinctions, it's the night before.

In 1994, the night before was a sweltering, rain-drenched evening in September, spent holed up in the sorority “shelter” (i.e., a seedy Manila motel near the exam site) with my roommate May Flores, a dear sorority sister with whom I shared the tensions and trepidations of the evening as we gazed up at the large ceiling mirror above the bed (I did say “seedy motel,” didn't I?). Tonight, it's a brisk but comfortable evening in Manhattan; I've just gotten home after a Chinese dinner with my Nu Yawk-er friend Carlo, and I'm happily “holed up” in the U.P. Law Portia Sorority's unofficial NY Bar shelter (i.e., a gorgeous apartment on the Upper West Side) with the apartment's resident and another dear sorority sister, Leah Olores. Tensions and trepidations? Not so much. I'm treating myself to a pre-Bar beer, and remembering how another favorite sis, Bembem dela Torre, and I would “de-tox” every weekend during the 1994 review over sisig, San Mig Light, and loads of great conversation at Trellis.

In 1994, I spent the pre-Bar day going to Mass, stressing a little too much, and not being able to sleep a wink. Tonight, after having heard Mass yesterday at St. Patrick's and dropping by another church today, I staked out the exam venue, had a huge lunch, and went shopping in mid-town Manhattan before meeting up with Carlo on Wall Street. I refuse to stress (“It is what it is”), and I fully intend to sleep through the night. Pass me another beer, please.

In 1994, all I could think about was how happy I'd be after the Philippine Bar was over and done with, and of all the stuff I'd be free to do right after. Tonight...ditto.

Let's get it on!

2 comments:

Carlo said...

I honestly feel that taking the Bar exam again is one of your best decisions. Somehow I understand you how you would like taking chances and taking risks. It is better to do it now than regret it someday. Don’t end up asking yourself, “What if?” I wish you the best of luck today and tomorrow.

dr_clairebear said...

hi, honey! hope your bar exam went well. it seems that people of our professions never stop taking examinations! but i think it's a great way of expanding your horizons.

board exams seem to be a way of life for doctors, unfortunately. to advance, we have no choice in the matter at all. :) i will be taking the australian boards later this year - another insanity. wish me luck!