Friday, December 28, 2007

Conversations in the Cold

Technically, I could justify lack of writing activity on some very good excuses. One, my hands are frozen stiff in -8 C winter weather. Two, I have nothing to write about. And three, the grandmother of an excuse to trump 'em all, I'm much too busy studying for the NY Bar to be bothered.

Then again, none of the above are true – technically.

Yes, I'm freezing – I'm in climes colder than I've ever been before, a situation hardly anticipated by my aborted relocation to chilly Baguio City or that February trek up the highest peak of Luzon that had Ney a-flurry with paternal concern (“Wear plastic bags over your socks!” “Keep bundled up!” “Eat your vegetables!”). Pretty good advice that applies to Chicago weather, except that I haven't had the chance to test out the plastic footwear trick, but I've kept warm and dry for the most part. Voluntary house arrest in this kind of weather is da bomb, and even the promise of all those post-Christmas sales isn't good enough reason to venture out in the wind and cold.

I have tons to write about, particularly about the phenomenon of American television, the rituals of turkey and other culinary traditions, homeless people in a First World country, and this strange new experience of ice raining down from the heavens.

And finally, while I've been busy studying, I've also spent an inordinate amount of time procrastinating and mentally beating myself up for doing so (that stops NOW). At bottom, a good full five hours a day (approximately a hundred pages) is the optimal amount to go through my books, plus another hour or so going through a practice exam. Which leaves about 18 hours for sleeping, eating, reality TV, e-mail, and other stuff.

Stuff like writing in my blog, which I've been putting off. No longer! Save for God and my sister, I don't have anyone else to talk to except for the doorman and the little voice in my head (which I invariably end up arguing with), so might as well “talk to the blog.”

More conversations to come very soon...happy holidays to everyone!

No comments: